Quote07.11.2012 05:561 people like thisLike

Has anyone got any information on the new Med El Rondo?

Don't know what it is........google it and check it out.

Quote07.11.2012 19:040 people like thisLike

I saw this link on the Med-El FB post today: http://cochlearimplantonline.com/site/med-el-receives-fda-approval-for-rondo/

Quote08.11.2012 00:510 people like thisLike

Thanks Erin, I saw that as well but was hoping that as this is the Med El forum there might be a bit more information.

Probably keeping it quiet until the official release.............Pablo......are you there........????

Quote08.11.2012 07:440 people like thisLike

This is all I could find at the moment, it's early days

http://en-gb.facebook.com/CochlearImplant

Similar to Baha aids, I hope it's powerful and suitable for us

Quote08.11.2012 08:190 people like thisLike

Hi Matt!! I am alive yeah, sorry about my late reply! Hope you are doing fine?

All information on the RONDO will be shared on our Facebook page. In case you don’t have it already, here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/medel.hearlife

test
Quote08.11.2012 18:410 people like thisLike

Some more information and images.

http://www.medel.com/int/show/index/id/1029/title/RONDO

Quote09.11.2012 08:300 people like thisLike

I'm interested! Maybe they will fade out the BTE hook type on next upgrade?

I'm guessing they would have to have a thin cord link to the ear somehow preventing losing it?

Quote17.12.2012 13:381 people like thisLike

I'd like to know where the microphone will be? I use Bose headphones A LOT, and if the microphone is on the headpiece, I am not sure how I am going to wear my headphones. Also, how does one use a phone if the microphone is on the headpiece? Won't this force the mouthpiece of the phone up too high for the person on the other end of the line to hear me well?

Quote17.12.2012 20:000 people like thisLike

Alexa, you've asked some very interesting questions on using peripherals devices with the Rondo. I'm curious on the wear ability of the Rondo, too. Is there a retaining device to keep from losing it, headwear (caps and helmets) and just how well it will stay on. So far Med-El hasn't posted further information and limitation on using on the Rondo.

Quote18.12.2012 09:150 people like thisLike

Thanks, Sid, for your reply. For me this question of how the mic on the processor is situated is tied of course to peripherals in general. I found myself very frustrated by bluetooth peripherals, esp. the Noizefree systems (I tried the ear hooks) and even my old trusty  Phonic ear neckloop. My frustration had to do with the distance of the peripherals from the processor. The ear hooks did not work very clearly unless I held them in a different position from their "normal sitting" position on the ear. Since I was having to hold the hook in exactly the right spot, I gave up on it b/c it wasn't very hands-free in the end. DItto for the neckloop.

I haven't used my t-coil on my opus 2 at all -- it tends to pick up static anyway. And the sounds I receive through the microphone are just fine -- even beautiful with Bose. When I wear my Bose and watch Netflix, I don't need captions. I don't get that quality with the neckloop. I use my Bose headphones for computer, desk land phone, and cell phone. At meetings, I don't need peripherals -- but my Ipad does so that I can record meetings with better sound! I use a table top mic leftover from my hearing aid days. In other words, my iPad uses my old FM system -- I don't ! :) :)

I would really love the rondo -- but if I can't wear Bose headphones with it, I'm not sure how I'd use it. Doesn't seem to make much sense to have those on, and then switch back to the Behind-The-Ear models for everytime I want to use the phone.

I also note that when I play soccer -- it's the magnet that falls off, not the BTE portion. I'd be fine with wearing the rondo under a hat or something to keep the magnet in place -- but if hte microphone is then under the hat....??

I sure hope someone over at Med El will give a little more info on this -- at least whether they've thought about this.

Quote19.12.2012 03:480 people like thisLike

I can't wait for the Rondo - the ear hooks really annoy me and I would put up with some trouble using the phone for the one piece.

My concern is the relative increase in weight may require a stronger magnet and therefore increase the risk of tissue damage - hopefully my concerns are unfounded.

Quote19.12.2012 10:300 people like thisLike

I don't think any of us will know until it's launched expected in Spring 2013 http://www.medel.com/int/show/index/id/1029/title/RONDO

Have spoken to my Audiologists at Addenbrookes Hospital and they don't even know much about it, their main concern are the weight, the thickness and easily lose it. Not sure if the rechargeable battery is in the pipeline. I also think they won't upgrade until ours unless it's faulty but I suppose there's nothing stopping us paying for it and might have to see the bank manager though!

Quote04.01.2013 23:341 people like thisLike

To make myself clear I am not a cochlear implanter, but I've been implanted with the middle ear implant which uses the Amade processor. And since I really like to keep up on things for hearing impaired users like myself I've taken a few glances at the newly announced Rondo for cochlear implanters and from what I've read it seems to have some of the same features as my processor, the Amade. I also noticed a few of the same questions I had when I first received this implant/processor. How will it stay on? How will I use headphones? How will I be able to use the telephone? I have to say, it took a lot of re-learning and a lot of research to be able to tackle these now seemingly simple fixes.

How will/How well does it stay on? - Honestly, I've never had my processor ever "fall" off my head. However, my processor came with fishing line and a small metal clip that I was able to clip into my hair. So if the situation were ever to arise where it might fall off it would simply dangle from my hair. The only place I felt uncomfortable with it would be at amusement parks. I took it off to ride those lighting speed roller coasters in fear that it would blow out of my hair too. Yikes. I also read that a lot of VSB users with the Amade would wear headbands and tight hats when exercising and other high activities to keep their processor in place. In my particular experience, wearing hats/headbands does not seem to get in the way of the microphone picking up sounds and I don't receive any feedback or scuffling noises from it being up against it.

How will I use headphones? - I've had some difficulties with this one. It's not until recently that I've really found something with a better solution than what I was using. As a vibrant young adult I enjoy music and watching Netflix on the computer... So I really struggled with using headphones. At first I wore over the head headphones, but placed the piece that would normally go over the head across my forehead. This works pretty well, but is obviously silly looking and not very comfy. After looking at other options I found a site called www.tookshats.com. There you will find headbands and even hats that will let you move the left and right side receiver anywhere within the headband. For me, this was a major plus because I am only implanted unilaterally. So I was able to move the receiver to my implant, but also able to reach my ear level. What a blessing that find has been. My next step would be to see if I could find better receivers to place in the headband.

Will I be able to use the telephone and will the other person be able to hear me? - Simply, yes and yes. As we know it takes lots and lots of adjusting after implanting... For me, the telephone was another of those hard, but doable adjustments. At first for me, phones that have indents where the sound is coming out were significantly easier to use with my implant. After becoming adjusted to lifting my phone just slightly higher to the processor it just becomes habit. I would advise for the first few times to have someone run a few "test calls" with you to get the feel of it. I've never had any problems with the other person being able to hear me. I find that a lot of cellular phones even place the microphone on the bottom of the phone rather than on the front or back of the phone. So any scuffling from running up against your cheek seems to be non-existent.

I thought I would share my similar experiences to those of you having some questions, when it seems that the cochlear Rondo and the VSB Amade are having similar features. I'm also willing to answer any questions if you have any. :)

Quote05.01.2013 10:170 people like thisLike

Kelly --

Thank you so much for your detailed description of how you've made the processor work with secondary devices. I checked out Tookshat, and that looks really promising for a lot of peripherals. But -- and I hate to rain on your success -- how does one hook a mic into tookshat?

I use Boseheadphones with all my peripherals, including my cell and any landline phone. My bose headphones have an inline mic -- so I can make calls as well as listen to general audio using one headset. I also like to use these on the plane for audio b/c when I use my t coil on the plane, there is a very slight static interference signal (plus, my t coil doesn't quite give me the clarity and volume that I get through the processor mic). And of course, Bose has a noise cancelling feature. Granted, it's possible that my t coil program needs to be adjusted by my audiologist....?

Ideally, there'll be some way to keep using the Bose with the Rondo. Although I experimented with putting the bose on the top of my head where I have my one processor (currently unilaterally implanted, looking to get other side done in March), and the bose just sort of slid off the top of my head. Maybe I could hack the headphone ear pieces on to a different style headband.... :) :) :)

Thanks so much for everyone's input :)

-Alexa

Quote06.01.2013 23:130 people like thisLike

I was just at my second anniversary post implant/activation assessment and actually asked about the Rondo.  My audiologist brought out the Med El marketing and sales package which included about a half dozen Rondo shells in different colours.  As expected from the earlier pictures, it's thicker than the existing headpiece, even with the strongest magnet attachment.  The device takes 3 HA-type batteries set in a semi-circle within the device, and I haven't heard of any rechargeable options at this time.

Trying it on I immediately noticed the difference NOT having something over the ear makes.  It was like I wasn't wearing a processor at all.  Even though my Concerto is small and very light, not having something over the ear really gives one a 'sense of freedom' that I think many can identify with.  I'm pretty sure there will be initial challenges with headphones and telephones, much as I had when I was first set up, but if anyone can adapt, it would be CI users like us.

My biggest concern is the thickness of the device.  I enjoy recreational skiing and wear a helmet now, but even with careful fitting, I find my headpiece keeps shifting off the implant area; something that would only be exacerbated with a thicker device.  My audiologist says that they will be available within the next few months.

Quote07.01.2013 08:120 people like thisLike

Hi All and John,

1) My headpiece is always falling off during soccer, but my ear piece stays on pretty well. I'm going to have to start wearing something to keep the headpiece in place -- I just hope that the Rondo doesn't need a whole lot more than say, a baseball hat snugly fit.

2) Interesting reply from Tooks.com (recommeded by Kelly) -- they are coming out soon with an inline mic. Here is Tooks' reply to my inquiry:

Thanks for your email.  You are correct that the Tooks earphones can be positioned anywhere within the hat or headband that you need, especially in your case where they need to be above the ear.  With regards to the mic, we are actually coming out with a Bluetooth module soon (likely by Feb) that the Tooks cord will plug in to for listening to music, and it also has a built-in microphone for handling phone calls.  It also has a small clip for attaching to clothing or to the hat itself, so that it could be positioned near your mouth as you mention.

Best regards
Tooks Customer Service
Quote08.01.2013 10:000 people like thisLike

In some of my more vigorous activities, I switch in the strongest magnet on the headpiece and if necessary, channel the 1980s by adding a headband.  I think the length of hair and its movement may have some effect on things as well if the headpiece can't sit directly on skin.

Quote11.03.2013 19:280 people like thisLike

I guess I am probably the odd man out here but quite frankley I don't have any issues wearing the earhook. Does it come off at time times? yep, but for the most part I don't even remember it is there. curious to see what the Rondo feels lke but don't know that I would be the first person in line to get one. Rather wait to get some reviews first.

Adam

Quote20.03.2013 16:490 people like thisLike

I'm not sure about the Rondo at all. I was actually asked if I wanted it instead of the BTE as a backup since my activation is right around the time Rondo will be coming out worldwide. My audi only showed me a picture (actually it looked more like a fax) of what the Rondo would look like. I am not sure about it and she couldn't answer any of my initial questions about the Rondo other than it takes batteries which are not rechargeable. I have been using hearing aids since I was 6 years old, my ears have adapted to having something hanging around them (be it the hearing aids or my glasses) that I see no point in getting the Rondo at this point. I too don't want to be the first in line to get it, I would like to see the test results and hear from others on what works and what doesn't. I'm sure there are going to be some kinks that need to be ironed out but I don't want to be the "tester".

I will be the first adult Med-El user in my state, kids have had med-el but at the Children's Hospital. So this is going to be all new to me, the adult audiologist and the adult hospital.

Mere

Quote21.03.2013 10:330 people like thisLike

I've been looking into the Rondo for my upcoming surgery.  My audi said that it looks like May before it's available.  She said she is looking into getting a sample of it but not sure when that will happen.

Quote22.03.2013 18:470 people like thisLike

I had my cochlear implant this past Monday and chose the the Rondo as it did not have the ear piece. My appointment is on April 22nd so will let you know how it works. For your information my audiologist informed me that it does have rechargeable batteries.
Quote23.03.2013 01:250 people like thisLike

Hi Sandy,

finally we have a Rondo amongst the forum. I can't wait to her your thoughts as I may even pay for one myself if it's good.

I am pretty sure that it only comes with disposable batteries at this time.

Here's a photo I found:

223ef1fd3e4d_zps17ded7c1.jpeg?t=13640198

Quote23.03.2013 13:140 people like thisLike

coming to US as soon as May, last I heard.  Will have retaining strap to use with activity. 3 disposable batteries will make it a tad heavier magnet & thicker than the D-coil because of the battery thickness.  There will be a free trial period, 30 days?

I sure hope it's the answer to my BTE issues!

Quote23.03.2013 14:580 people like thisLike

thanks Kelly!  you've given me a great idea what to retro-fit what I have for the Rondo with the Tooks reference.  I also saw a website: Sleep phones.  I have written Tooks to see if the in-line mic option has become available.

Quote28.03.2013 21:280 people like thisLike

MED-EL Rondo: New Details and Specifications (courtesy of bhNews)

File is attached.

23666E_r20_RONDO_Factsheet_Web.pdf • 349.1K • 14 downloads

Quote01.04.2013 03:430 people like thisLike

It's a shame Med El is a bit slow with the photo's and publicity of the Rondo. So far it's FB and other sources with the most information.

540696_10200371172475621_50331506_n.jpg

Quote01.04.2013 12:390 people like thisLike

Hi Sandy,

finally we have a Rondo amongst the forum. I can't wait to her your thoughts as I may even pay for one myself if it's good.

I am pretty sure that it only comes with disposable batteries at this time.

Same here, can't find out any prices yet, I'm surprised it's not available in chargeable battery yet unless they are working on it, might be awkward because of the shape (?)

Quote01.04.2013 18:380 people like thisLike

Was under the impession there werenot rechargeable batteries for RONDO. that is the first I've heard this will be an option.

leading up to something like this, there is always going to be rumor and speculation on the specifics.  just be careful of the source of your information and just try to be patient for the release before making any judgements on the product as I'm sure some of the information floating around the web is less than accurate.

Adam

Quote01.04.2013 18:440 people like thisLike

one more side note, as far as ALD's go. I use the smartlinx fm system from phonak to listen to music or talk on the phone. this works great for music as you attach two small boots to each of your processor (if bilateral)  and you can listen to music or talk on phone via bluetooth so you are not attatched to anthing or wires. I connect my ipod to the transmitter and set it on the counter in the kitchen and can do the dishes and clean listening to music with nothing attatched to me. pretty cool.

Adam

Quote01.04.2013 18:540 people like thisLike

Adam,

Where can one order the smartlinx fm system from phonak that you use? I'm interested in it as I don't like cables/wires hanging from my head. The direct connect that came with my kit has a heavy and stiff cable that has a tendency to put the processor off my ear.

Sid

Quote01.04.2013 19:310 people like thisLike

Sid,

I have the Phonak smartlink sx. you can get it through your audie. It isnt cheap but worth the investment. I was at a seminar a few weeks ago and knew I was going to be sitting towards the back of the room so i asked the presenter whom I knew, to wear the transmitter. He actually wore it under his shirt so nobody saw it. I sat in the back of the room and it picked up everything he said and transmitted it directly to the boots attached to my processors. It sounded like he was talking directly into my ear.

Quote06.04.2013 18:210 people like thisLike

Adam, I am curious. I also have the Phonax Fm system. I purchased it with my hearing aid to be able to participate in meetings and conference calls. Is it compatible with the Med-el implant?
Quote06.04.2013 22:080 people like thisLike

Sandy, you bet it is. I bought the recievers for me hearing aids. got the transmitter after I was implanted. the recievers plug into the bottom of your battery cover. (the one used for the direct connect cables)

works like a charm.

Quote06.04.2013 22:450 people like thisLike

Hi Adam

What boots are you talking about?  I had phonak nadia and the FM receiver was attached as part of the battery compartment.  The last time I had boots was many years ago.  I didn't realise that Med-El has bluetooth as there is nothing in my information that preluded to that and the audiologist only spoke about the telecoil which is different to the FM system.  Do I need to buy extra boots? And most importantly where do you attach them on the processor?

Thanks

Karen

Quote07.04.2013 07:410 people like thisLike

Karen here is a picture of one of the receivers attached to the ALD battery cover.

phonak reciever.jpg • 837B • 13 downloads

Quote07.04.2013 07:470 people like thisLike

Karen,

Take a look at this picture. the middle picture is what I was talking about. the wireless reciever attaches to the bottom of the processor. the transmitter picks up the sound and sends it to the reciever.

http://www.medel.com/us/using-ald-examples-of-alds/

Quote07.04.2013 11:550 people like thisLike

now that the Rondo is out in the US (launch April 10th), does anyone know if the Phonak FM boot can be used with it?  I heard you can plug in the DAI, so makes sense that we could.

Quote07.04.2013 18:460 people like thisLike

Thanks Adam that was very helpful.  I have contacted my audiologist and hopefully we can sort all those gadgets out :)

K

Quote10.04.2013 20:180 people like thisLike

Finally it's been officially released.

The Med El promo video is pretty lame, I like the one with Kathy from Canada much more.

http://www.medel.com/rondo

Quote11.04.2013 19:280 people like thisLike

RONDO was released yesterday in Tampa, FL. It is the world's first single unit audio processor. The microphone, transducer, batteries and magnet are all self-contained. You can see pics on MedEl's FB page. It is a way cool device.
Quote11.04.2013 19:340 people like thisLike

Hi Laura, you can use Fm Systems with the RONDO while using the external battery pack. You can use the Da Capo rechargeable a, a AAA battery or A685p disposable batteries with the RONDO. If you use the first two options, the battery pack has a jack for the FM system. I hope this helps.
Quote13.04.2013 13:110 people like thisLike

I have the phonak FM boots as well. curious to se how all that works. My audie did not get any info on the rondo as far as a demo to show. Puzzling why some clinics get the stuff and others dont.

Quote23.04.2013 15:070 people like thisLike

I'm now (mostly) approved by my insurer for a CI at age 67, progressive loss, right ear (which is currently pretty worthless) and later, possibly bilaterally. My hospital audiologist has suggested a RONDO with an OPUS backup (I get 2 processors). Since I wear glasses and shift between my readers and my shades a lot, the RONDO sounds attractive. I don't care about how they look, but functionality and ease matters. Would you get the OPUS as a backup, or stay with the RONDO for both?

Quote23.04.2013 19:030 people like thisLike

Russ,

I wear glasses for a stigmatism. I end up taking off and putting on my glasses a number of times a day. I am bilaterally implanted and use the opus 2  processors on both sides. I have never had any issues at all with my glasses and the opus 2. Granted the rondo would be pretty neat but I don't think I would let the fact that you wear glasses stop you from possibly selecting  the opus 2 as a backup.

Adam

Quote23.04.2013 21:160 people like thisLike

Russ, I still have my backup BTE in original package so I can do an even swap.  I have a demo set next week for Rondo & am getting one for the 90 trial, no doubt will keep for my back-up or when I want it's convenience, but I will keep my original Opus 2 BTE, too, because of the FM system connect.  Hopefully, the Rondo will get a direct port someday, and rechargeable battery.  It may get expensive ONLY having Rondo because you'll be changing out 3 Extra hi power button batteries every 5 days. Using Rondo with Mini Battery pack (for rechargeable battery) & cable defeats the ease of the Rondo.  Also, I'm not sure how I'll use my earhook headset with it, which I prefer over a neckloop for Iphone, Ipod, CD player & gym.  Can't wait!  I hope to also be able to put the Rondo in a baggie for waterproofing!  I wear glasses, too, so will enjoy having my ear free.

Also, I'm looking to see if I can carve a depression in motorcycle helmet, insert Rondo, then put helmet on to use Bluetooth FM communication unit with my husband (the driver).  I have had audiologist give me a lower volume program also, so I may not even need a comm system, as we have a quiet bike and this programming worked with my hearing aid prior.

Quote24.04.2013 05:240 people like thisLike

Also, I'm looking to see if I can carve a depression in motorcycle helmet, insert Rondo, then put helmet on to use Bluetooth FM communication unit with my husband (the driver).  I have had audiologist give me a lower volume program also, so I may not even need a comm system, as we have a quiet bike and this programming worked with my hearing aid prior.

Hi Laura,

I'm very interested to see what you come up with for your helmet. I don't wear my processor when riding but have been thinking of taking to the lid with a Dremel. What bike do you have that is quiet - remember, LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. Cool

Matt

Quote24.04.2013 05:360 people like thisLike

Might not be a bad idea to contact the manufacturer to see if they have any ideas. You wouldn't want to compromise the integrity of the helmet.

Quote24.04.2013 14:380 people like thisLike

Hi Russ, I wear bilateral RONDOs and glasses.  NO ear hook pressure. soreness, cannot be overstated.  Now, I do wear my Opii (Opus plural) when exercising, doing yard work such as weeding. Since I also glow when exercising and live in TX, EarGears are an inexpensive wonderful remedy for keeping moisture at bay. However, when mowing, string trimming and blowing, I am without any hearing.  I am still waiting for someone to come up to me and tell me I could lose my hearing without proper protection. The RONDO can also use a mini battery pack so you can use rechargeable batteries, AAA or rechargeable AAA batteries.  If you use a FM system, the Opus has a longer battery pack cover with the appropriate port.  The mini battery pack for the RONDO also has a port.  Both of them are plug and play.  If like Laura, you use ear hooks, you shouldn't have any issues.  I use a Clear Sounds Quattro BT neck loop and love it. Good luck with your CI and say thanks to your audiologist!

Quote25.04.2013 06:580 people like thisLike

I agree with John.  I used the Rondo for certain activities and it's a great option for social functions.  When wearing a hat, it covered the Rondo completely and didn't affect hearing too much, so no processor would be showing at all.  I use the Opus 2 for running and cycling though - the coil fits under my helmet a little easier.

Quote25.04.2013 17:100 people like thisLike

Hi Everyone, just an update. My activation was this past Monday and I am loving it.! A very emotional time for me. The voices do sound robotic but was told that this will change as my brain starts remembering the sounds. I can hear! And clearly too. I cannot tell you the last time I heard a whole sentence or didn't ask someone to repeat themselves. Some of the sounds, actually most of them are high pitched like a tweeting noise. Make sense? Yesterday I drove my car and did find out I still cannot hear the passenger at this time. I wanted to experience different sounds and opened the windows in the car, talked to people. It was great. I like the Rondo; it is very light and has a small clip for your hair for safety. I don't find it too large. Regarding the magnet, I need the strongest one as the second one is not strong enough. I hope it doesn't take too long for the robotic sounds and high pitches to disappear. This is definitely a plus to my life. Anyone have questions, let me know.
Quote25.04.2013 17:340 people like thisLike

Hi, Sandy, you have just taken the first GIANT step towards your new hearing. Robotic Mickey and Minnie Mouse will go away as soon as you start listening to friends.  Listening to friends and relatives, aka a known auditory quantity, can really help because, although your brain is using a different area to process your new sounds, it still pulls from your stored memories. Does your magnet have three symbols on it or four?  If three you have what I use. You will probably get re-mapped several times in the first few months. I found that each map helped diminish unwanted ambient noise and helped clarity! Other forum members have suggested keeping a log of what you are experiencing so when you meet with your audiologist you will be able to illustrates the successes and issues. Thanks for sharingCool

Quote25.04.2013 18:060 people like thisLike

Congratulations Sandy!!!!

And John, you are such a wonderful source of information and encouragement; I hope you stick around here a long time.

Lisa from NH

Bilateral HAs since 1974. Right CI activated 7/29/13. Left CI activated 6/18/14.
Quote25.04.2013 18:590 people like thisLike

Thanks John and Lisa. My magnet has the three symbols. I go back to my audiologist on May 27. She told me that because I had to fly back to London, they wait a month. What do you mean by ambient noise? John, how long was it before you could hear on the telephone or the television? I have started to keep a journal so I don't forget things when I see my audiologist. She also gave me a couple of practice sessions to do at home with friends. So far there are two people I am having difficulty hearing. One, her voice is very soft and i cannot hear her unless she lowers the pitch of her voice and the other, her voice is very loud and she sounds very tweety or I read her lips. All of this is so fascinating.
Quote25.04.2013 19:430 people like thisLike

Sandy congratulations on getting activated! That has got to be very exciting for you. Usually when we lose our hearing, we lose the high frequencies first. When we are activated, the high frequencies are the first to come back. The issue is that our brain does not know how to interpret this new sound it has not heard in a very long time so it assigns it really unusal sounds like cartoon characters ect.

All of us have an automatic filter that our brain uses to block out the ambient noise that John reffered to. Ambient noise is background noise. like the refrigerator humming, desk top computer humming, flourescent lights. They all make noise. Our brains are very good at "ignoring" those sounds and concentrating on the important sounds. When we are first activated, we do not have that "filter" so we are bombarded with EVERY little noise we hear. For me it was pretty overwhelming at first but got MUCH better. It will just take your brain some time to sort out what sounds are important and what arent.

Quote25.04.2013 21:400 people like thisLike

Adam, thanks for clarifying that for me. This is very exciting. And I tried watching tv with the volume turned up tonight and it wasn't too bad. Robotic of course but I could actually get the gist of the conversation without the closed captions. A start. I never really had high frequencies. I remember in grade school having hearing tests and being told that I didn't hear them but way back then nothing was done. I believe I now have tinnitus as well. For the past couple of days I have had a continuous sound like a church bell. It seems to be more noticeable when I take off the Rondo. Hopefully it will be temporary.
Quote26.04.2013 06:480 people like thisLike

Sandy that is great!! The tv for me took a little while as did the phone and music. Voices went back to normal pretty quickly. freinds and family were the first to sound like they shoiuld. I have had tinnius for a very long time. Mine is like a high pitched test signal. I have it 24/7 but as you said when my processor is on It is hardly noticable. I know caffiene and lack of sleep can make it worse. talk to your audi and he/she should be able to give you some tips on how to lessen it.

Quote28.04.2013 20:560 people like thisLike

Hi! My son has bilateral Rondos and loves them! He is in 4th grade. It's nice to have all the components in one single unit! I attached pix below of the side view and back view!

Side View Rondo.jpg • 1.7M • 27 downloads

Back view Rondo.jpg • 1.6M • 25 downloads

Quote28.04.2013 21:020 people like thisLike

Great pictures Patrice, pretty neat shirt as well. I assume he is really liking the Rondo?

Quote28.04.2013 21:260 people like thisLike

I want that T-shirt!

Quote28.04.2013 22:040 people like thisLike

Me too. That is one cool T-shirt!
Quote29.04.2013 14:560 people like thisLike

Sandy, There is a magnet with four dots, but you shouldn't have to use it.  I was able to hear the telephone and TV after a fashion within a month or so of activation on my first implant.  My comprehension really took off when I was activated on my second implant.  I can talk on the phone and watch TV without an ALD but prefer to use my Quattro Bluetooth neck loop and close captioning for phone/TV use. I think it is fantastic that you are hearing so well so soon!

Quote29.04.2013 15:320 people like thisLike

Hi John, thanks for the information. When I went for activation, I asked about a second implant. Currently, our health care system only allows for one implant for adults but does allow two for children. I was told they are working to try to change this. Unfortunately, wearing a HA will probably not be an option as the hearing in my right ear is too far gone. The CI., even after only one week, has made a world of difference and will only get better as my brain catches up. The sounds are still very high pitched and voices Minnie an Mickey Mouse but they are so clear that there is only the odd time I need to ask someone to repeat what they said.
Quote05.05.2013 16:251 people like thisLike

I'm weighing the Rondo vs. my new Opus 2.

Rondo's Pros:

Single unit.

Bluetooth Compatible

Same Battery life (per Peer)

Rondo's Cons:

No rechargeable battery

Accessories require remote battery pack that is wired to Rondo

Size - bulky

Weight

Maximum Magnet power

Opus 2 Pro's

Lightweight

Rechargeable batteries

Small and Standard battery pack

Convenient Ear hook

Wired & Wireless Accessories

Bluetooth Compatible

Cons:

Separate Coil & Processor

Coil Wired to processor

My opinion is, since I have been wearing hearing aids for over 20 years and do not even notice the processor hanging on my ear, I find the Opus 2 with the D-coil more comfortable, less noticeable and more accessory-friendly than the Rondo.

Now I have not tried the Rondo yet, but I will.  My audiologist said I will need a stronger battery than Rondo delivers.  My big decision maker will be the sound quality.  If I find it better than the Opus 2, I may go with the Rondo and keep the Opus 2 as my backup.

Having to use a separate remote wired battery supply to use accessories, with Rondo, seems a little inconvenient to me.  Just my 2¢.

Quote05.05.2013 19:200 people like thisLike

from what I understand, the sound quality should be the same as the sound coding strategy plus all the "guts" or internal working parts are the same for both. just packaged a little differently

Quote05.05.2013 22:250 people like thisLike

For all those interested in the shirt, we all received one when we participated in the Walk4Hearing last October. We wear them proudly! :) My son has both Opus 2 processors and Rondos. He is very happy with both. He really prefers the Rondos for the simple reason that there is nothing on his ears. He is very active in sports and we live in the South. We deal with sweat and humidity issues often. He wore Eargear every day with the Opus 2 processors. They were wonderful! I had to wash them out every night and let them air dry. With the Rondos, we're not dealing with a sweat issue. The bottom of the processor that is in contact with his scalp is the only area that is wet after a game. In general, Jonathan reports that the sound quality is a little different, possibly due to the change in the positioning of the microphone. Both processors are great! It really depends on your personal preference of features.

Quote06.05.2013 06:050 people like thisLike

Patrice, Thanks a bunch for your input. Thats really good to hear about the sweat issue as I know a lot of people deal with it. Including me. I live in South cArolina.

Quote22.05.2013 01:462 people like thisLike

Hi everyone i have posted on another link about the Rondo,i am due to have my initial activation tomorrow May 23rd and i am using the Rondo for a month as a trial,i have had the device for the past 2 weeks to get accustomed to it.It is much lighter and smaller than i expected and although i have no problem with the look, if anyone is concerned you would just need to grow your hair a bit longer,(sorry if you are bald) as someone else has stated it comes with a retaining clip which i have found is sufficient to clip to your hair and if the device came away it would not drop to the floor.The only issue i have at the moment and i will sort it out tomorrow my Rondo came with 3 magnets of different strengths and also with protective covers i have found that with the cover on the 3 strength magnet is not enough to be confident in it staying in place,therefore i will ask for the strength 4 magnet to eleviate that problem.I have been told it does vary from person to person,i would imagine a younger person with smooth skin would not have that problem but a 59 year old becoming a bit of a wrinkly needs a the  stronger magnet.Anyway i will post the results of my activation tomorrow fingers crossed all will go well

Quote22.05.2013 03:030 people like thisLike

Hi Terry,

I'm excited for you as well and looking forward to your views on the RONDO.

Matt

Quote22.05.2013 08:010 people like thisLike

Terry that is pretty exciting! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Adam

Quote22.05.2013 18:560 people like thisLike

Terry, good luck tomorrow. I'm sure all will go well. I go for my second mapping next week and have been keeping a diary of things I need to discuss with my audiologist.
Quote22.05.2013 19:010 people like thisLike

Terry, We are super excited for you!! please let us know how things go tomorrow

Quote24.05.2013 00:131 people like thisLike

My activation day left me astounded at the clarity of what i was hearing straight away it has well exceeded my expectations.My audi said it will only get better from now on so after a fairly uncomfortable start to the year with a cancer operation that postponed my CI it looks blue skies at the moment.I really cant thank the staff at my centre enough for,not only their professional help but also the kindness that they have showed towards not just me but other patients i have seen being treated,they certainly go further then they job expects of them with their support.Also i like to thank all those that have sent their good wishes over the forums and wish you all well and i intent to be an active contributor through out my hearing experience as i feel that what we all go through is going to be beneficial to others,i wish you all good health

Quote24.05.2013 09:090 people like thisLike

Hey Terry,

great news about your activation. Looking forward to seeing how the next couple of programming sessions go.

Matt

Quote24.05.2013 11:390 people like thisLike

Terry,

That's just wonderful!!!!

Bilateral HAs since 1974. Right CI activated 7/29/13. Left CI activated 6/18/14.
Quote24.05.2013 15:410 people like thisLike

Terry, that is so awesome!!! If you thinik it is good now, just give it a few months.Laughing

Quote24.05.2013 21:210 people like thisLike

Terry, That is some wonderful news! Congrats and enjoy!
Never give up!
Quote24.05.2013 22:470 people like thisLike

Terry, great news. Keep us informed of your journey. This is an exciting time for you!
Quote28.05.2013 12:590 people like thisLike

Well lads and lasses 5 days since my activation with the Rondo and the bad news is THERE ISNT ANY, at this moment in time i cannot find a fault in the Rondo or my progress i have had conversations with my 2 eldest grand children ages 4 and almost 3 and that is the first time i have understood them since their birth,fantastic!!I have managed to identify a couple of songs on the radio from way back in my memory banks,hearing and recognising new sounds each day.My main problem is, i can hear the noises but unable to detect  where they are coming from, of course i realise that will improve with time and patience so all is looking or hearing good.37th wedding anniversary tomorrow so the timing is great and my second mapping the following day so lots to look forward to.I cannot emphasise enough what help and support i have had from the medical teams and people on forums such as this it is so much appreciated and can only help to assist others,stay safe everyone and best wishes

Quote28.05.2013 15:200 people like thisLike

Congratulations on all counts, Terry!  This is the best news I've heard all day!

Quote28.05.2013 17:560 people like thisLike

Terry, AMAZING!! Glad to hear things are going so well. Just think, it is only going to get better. I'm sure this will be an anniversary you wont soon forget. Enjoy, please keep us posted on your progress.

Quote28.05.2013 18:540 people like thisLike

Awesome news Terry.

Sensory overload is fun isn't it? Have you heard things yet that you couldn't identify only to realise that it's a sound from long ago?

Have a great anniversary.

Quote28.05.2013 19:520 people like thisLike

Terry, were you hearing "Westminster Cathedral", "Penny Lane", Ferry Across the Mersey" or "What's New Pussycat?" in your analog memory banks.  that is so great that you are starting to distinguish voices and sounds, in their proper places.  Location will come. spatial recognition is difficult and will take practice.  you get the award for "most progress in shortest time".

Quote28.05.2013 20:040 people like thisLike

Terry that is great news. I had my second mapping today and my audiologist was pleased with my progress. I must admit I am not as advanced as you are but like you, I heard my great niece talk and could hear her clearly for the first time and my nephew was so pleased that I could carry on and hear a full conversation again. He had missed that during the last few years. I'm heading home tomorrow with new "homework". I was quite surprised that they upped the volume on my processor. I already thought it was loud but when she tested me the indications were to increase it. Oh well, guess the sounds of plastic bags and cellophane will take a little longer to disappear. I heard rain for the first time last week and some voices and sounds are now starting to sound normal. Music still sounds like a screech but I can hear some TV. The journey continues.....
Quote28.05.2013 21:020 people like thisLike

Terry, were you hearing "Westminster Cathedral", "Penny Lane", Ferry Across the Mersey" or "What's New Pussycat?" in your analog memory banks.

You're showing your age now John.

Quote29.05.2013 01:220 people like thisLike

Terry, were you hearing "Westminster Cathedral", "Penny Lane", Ferry Across the Mersey" or "What's New Pussycat?" in your analog memory banks.  that is so great that you are starting to distinguish voices and sounds, in their proper places.  Location will come. spatial recognition is difficult and will take practice.  you get the award for "most progress in shortest time".

I tell you what i wasnt listening to any of them but i am hearing them now.Driving along in the car my wife now has the radio on in the hope that i might recognise something and i said to her yesterday is that T Rex?yep it certainly was, one of my all time heros Marc Bolan god bless him. what i have noticed when trying to listen to bands with an array of instruments playing is i pick up the drum beat more than anything else whci makes it easier to identify band s like T Rex as a lot of it was drum beating LOL. Ferry Across The Mersey WOW youve started something now i wont be able to get that out of my head mixed emotions today what with wedding anniversary and a funeral of a dear friend on the same day but it will be a test to see if i can keep up with the service in the church and if im singing Jerry and The pacemakers songs in church we know who to blame keep safe all

Quote29.05.2013 01:330 people like thisLike

Awesome news Terry.

Sensory overload is fun isn't it? Have you heard things yet that you couldn't identify only to realise that it's a sound from long ago?

Hi funny enough my wife has a musical jewellery box,not that we have anything of value, in fact the box is probably worth more than the contents but i was in another room over the weekend heard what i thought was our door bell couldnt figure out what it was and eventually realised it was my wife opening the box briefly, but that split second of noise registered something from my past and what i find fascinating is how much information the human brain must retain over the years,if i had my life over again i would certainly pay more attention in school and go into science especially about our hearing mechanism.

Quote29.05.2013 07:310 people like thisLike

Terry, you are not kidding, It just blows my mind to think how complex our old melon is. you will have many more moments just like that. Have a great week.

Quote29.05.2013 07:390 people like thisLike

It just blows my mind to think how complex our old melon is.

Stop giving me excuses for bad jokes.

Quote29.05.2013 08:150 people like thisLike

I'm there for ya brother, whatever i can do you help you.

Quote29.05.2013 12:280 people like thisLike

Awesome news Terry.

Hi funny enough my wife has a musical jewellery box,not that we have anything of value, in fact the box is probably worth more than the contents but i was in another room over the weekend heard what i thought was our door bell couldnt figure out what it was and eventually realised it was my wife opening the box briefly, but that split second of noise registered something from my past and what i find fascinating is how much information the human brain must retain over the years,if i had my life over again i would certainly pay more attention in school and go into science especially about our hearing mechanism.

It is never too late... ;)

"Space: the final frontier...to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Quote29.05.2013 16:250 people like thisLike

I tell you what i wasnt listening to any of them but i am hearing them now.Driving along in the car my wife now has the radio on in the hope that i might recognise something and i said to her yesterday is that T Rex?yep it certainly was, one of my all time heros Marc Bolan god bless him. what i have noticed when trying to listen to bands with an array of instruments playing is i pick up the drum beat more than anything else whci makes it easier to identify band s like T Rex as a lot of it was drum beating LOL. Ferry Across The Mersey WOW youve started something now i wont be able to get that out of my head mixed emotions today what with wedding anniversary and a funeral of a dear friend on the same day but it will be a test to see if i can keep up with the service in the church and if im singing Jerry and The pacemakers songs in church we know who to blame keep safe all

was it this T Rex song: T. REX - BANG A GONG (GET IT ON) LYRICS

Quote30.05.2013 06:130 people like thisLike

I think John and Matt need to have a competition to see who the funniest cyborg is

Quote09.06.2013 15:500 people like thisLike

I am not sure if anyone has posted this.

A nice review of the Rondo by Joe Duarte:

http://funnyoldlife.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/med-el-rondo-review/